Waitītiko / Meola Creek community hui
Wednesday 23 November 2022, 7:00pm - 9:00pm
Urban Ark and Healthy Waters are reviving the Waititiko community meetings which used to happen pre Covid. They were a great way of connecting people active along the awa: groups, contractors, schools, marae, council staff, contractors and others involved with improving native biodiversity.
This is the first of the meetings, now covering the whole catchment.
Location: Auckland Zoo. Go to the main entrance and there will be signs or flags from there.
1. To connect groups working along the length of Waitītiko / Meola Creek. Although various introductions have been made, it still feels like better integration could make groups more effective.
2. To come up with broad plans for action along each section of the creek.
3. To consider if there is enough of a unified strategy and plan to approach Foundation North or similar to fund further work.
1. Introductions (25min). Just 2 min per group: name, who you represent, main work so far, aspirations for the next year and beyond
2. Intro to Waitītiko (5min). STEPS (or Urban Ark) to do a quick overview of the stream and its importance.
3. Headwaters (10min). Discussion around issues and activities upstream from Roy Clements Treeway. Probably led by STEPS. Possible support from Pest Free Sandringham.
4. Roy Clements Treeway (15min). Discussion around issues and activities from Roy Clements Treeway and the underground section to the pipe outfall at Norgrove.
5. Norgrove, Chamberlain and around (15min). Issues around the golf course.
6. CRC to WSC (15min) Issues along the section immediately downstream of the motorway (BlueGreens) down to Western Springs College
7. Te Mahurehure to the sea (15min). Kanuka St Lava Forest, MOTAT land, Te Tokaroa.
8. Funding further work. (15min) Discussion around seeking funding for unified plan.