Western Springs Lakeside Park (Te Wai Ōrea) is a much-loved green oasis in the heart of inner-west Auckland, with potential to become a thriving biodiversity hotspot. Urban Ark – Manawa Taiao is in the process of seeding a community group focused on giving the park some extra aroha.
At the founding public meeting in July 2023 we heard short presentations from:
- Alexandra Bonham – Waitematā Local Board
- Siân Buley – Auckland Zoo Pest Management Coordinator & Urban Ark trustee
- Julie Robson – Community Ranger
- Gowan Robertson – Forest & Bird Bullock Track Restoration Project
- Chris Judd – Te Wai Ōrea Education pilot leader
- Ben Goodwin – Biodiversity guru and zookeeper
Ben provided deep insights into several fragments of locally rare ecosystems which are holding on in the park, including a section of (degraded) gumland, a patch of remnant swampland and a fringe of open lava field containing a profusion of native ferns. Any work we do will be carefully planned to avoid disturbing these precious habitats.
The context provided by our speakers was invaluable and now we need to organise boots on the ground to get good things done. We envisage the group working closely with the community ranger and being involved with some or all of the following:
- Weeding invasive pest plants
- Predator trapping (rats and possums)
- Pest monitoring
- Biodiversity monitoring
- Native planting
Please get in touch if you’d like to lead or volunteer for one or more of these activities.