Many Urban Ark groups (particularly those sponsored by Predator Free NZ) use the Victor Pro rat trap in a wooden box, which keeps out little fingers, curious pets and non-target animals.
This video above shows how to set one.
For a more general look at setting traps, check out this video. These are new traps so bare hands are fine, but once in the field you should always wear gloves to avoid rodent-bourne diseases.
Tips for using the Victor / tunnel combo
- Always wear gloves when handling your trap or catches. Gloves prevent you catching leptospirosis or other rodent-borne diseases. They also avoid transferring human smells, which can deter rats. Gloves also prevent transfer of human smells which might deter rats.
- Before opening the tunnel give the trap a shake to disable the trap inside.
- Only hold the trap from the back (the part with the big red V).
- Bait your trap before you set it.
- Peanut butter is the most common bait, but check out our lures advice.
- Use your thumbs to pull back the kill-bar to avoid accidents.
- Set your trap/tunnel combo on level ground. Rats are put off by unstable traps.
- If you have to use unstable ground, set your trap to “firm” rather than “sensitive”.
- When putting your trap into the tunnel, place it in bait-end first.
- Slide in the trap until it’s just inside the tunnel.
- To remove predators from the trap, hold the trap over a bag or bin and pull up the kill bar so the pest drops out. See our Dealing with dead rats page.